Here’s an emotion I’m striving to embrace more fully, because I haven’t gotten it all figured out. Humility is a beautiful and powerful emotion, but perhaps misunderstood, overlooked or even avoided by the masses. It is viewed as “weak” by some.
Those that practice humility know its power and hold it as one of the most important emotions to embody.
Humility opens one up energetically, to listen, to apologize, to understand another or to accept our humanity.
Its presence weakens and suffocates the Ego, making room for Spirit and authentic power to shine.
Humility is an essential emotion if you’re on a Spiritual Path. Without it, finding a state of enlightenment isn’t likely.
- I don’t know everything.
- I may be wrong.
- I’m sorry, I made a mistake … and I’ll make them again.
- I can learn something if I really listen, no matter who I’m speaking with.
- I’m not perfect, I’m human.
- Not everyone likes me.
- I’m going to disappoint others.
- There will always be someone smarter, more beautiful, more talented, more evolved, more sensual, more patient, more loving, more generous, more creative or more popular than I am.
1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.
2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.
Arrogance and pride are fuel for the ego. Humility is a potent antidote and spiritual ally. I find that when I feel humble I feel exposed and awkward for a moment, but it’s followed by a feeling of peace and sweetness. And, it’s real.
Soulful Challenge: Practice HUMILITY for a week. Try it on, especially when you feel “you are right”. When you feel that you “know it”, try it on. Apologize humbly. Notice how your Ego responds, and do it anyway.