First, you already understand Coaching…
Just as athletes have innate qualities and abilities that contribute to their overall performance, YOU have qualities and abilities that contribute to YOUR overall success and fulfillment.
Just as an Athletic Coach assists athletes in fully developing their abilities to maximum performance…
A Life Coach is a professional relationship designed to enhance an individual’s ability to focus, make effective changes, achieve desired goals and maximize success and fulfillment in life.
- How Athletic and Professional Coaching are Similar & Different
- Step Into the Experience of Coaching
- Why Coaching?
- 3 Steps to Investing in YOU
- The One Minute History of Coaching
- Coaching vs. Consulting vs. Therapy
- Is Coaching for YOU?
- Support clients/athletes by providing a structure that creates consistency – i.e. weekly coaching calls/workout schedule.
- Fully embrace and develop client’s/athlete’s strengths, and improve the areas that need attention.
- Empower clients/athletes to go beyond what they think they are capable of.
- Ensures clients/athletes has a solid foundation of “the basics”. Whether in sports or in life, it all starts with a solid foundation.
- Works with clients/athletes over TIME. Success doesn’t happen in a single workout or a single coaching session.
- Don’t actually DO the work for clients/athletes, but the presence of a coach provides strength, encouragement, empowerment and additional insight – giving the client/athlete an edge they wouldn’t have on their own.
- Assists clients/athletes in achieving their goals and dreams (Clients: more money, deeper relationships, productivity, fulfillment, balance, gratifying results – Athletes: The Olympics or The Super Bowl). Where would Olympic athletes be without their coaches? Would they have made it to the Olympics? Would they have maximized their performance?
The Biggest Differences are…
- YOU design the goals that are important to you (the end goal isn’t necessarily the Super Bowl or the Olympics) . What are your personal Olympics? What would be your Super Bowl?
- In Life Coaching we’ll focus on ALL of you, not just one area of your life.
Imagine a relationship with someone…
- Where YOU are the center of focus
- Who is totally curious about your dreams and aspirations.
- Who listens to you without judgment and accepts you without analyzing you.
- Who will help you clarify your goals, values and purpose – providing the programs and tools to get you into action and focused on the results you desire.
- Where you are inspired to go beyond the ordinary, raise your standards and live the life you know you’re truly capable of living.
- Who is sometimes more committed to what you want in your life than you are.
- Who knows your values, passions and life purpose and holds you true to them.
- Who celebrates your victories and helps you learn from your setbacks.
- Who is listening, not only to your words, but also to what’s behind the words, the nuances of your voice, your emotion, your energy – everything you communicate
- Who will unequivocally tell you the truth – the about where you are strong, about how you show up, and where you are selling yourself short.
- Imagine you get to talk to this person every week, regularly and consistently – to consolidate, to integrate and to push on.
Think about all the keys to living a successful, fulfilling and enriching life? Were there subjects in high school or college that guided you to build a solid personal foundation in life? Were there subjects designed to give you that additional edge in business? Not at any of the schools I attended. It’s sad, but true. While reading, writing, and arithmetic are essential ingredients in life – they aren’t ALL we need to create the life of our dreams. Look at the following list. Most of which were not emphasized in school, if at all. Circle the “subjects” you wish you had a stronger knowledge of, or wish were more developed in your life. (You may want to print this out FIRST, it’s hard to write on computer screens).
Wouldn’t it be great if these “classes” were available to us all? And what if each program was custom designed just for YOU? While there are books, workshops and programs available on many of these subjects, it takes time and energy to find it, “take it in” and INTEGRATE it into your life in a way that works for YOU. These options are time intensive approaches that may or may not “net” the desired result. I AM a huge believer in both books and seminars (keep on reading & attending), in fact, the Resource Center is also tremendously valuable.
Coaching is another way to design your own custom “personal life program” or “business success program” and integrate it into reality. Having a coach keeps you focused. Having a coach gives you that objectivity and support you’ll need along the way. Having a coach can expedite the process and make that process more enjoyable.
Investing in YOU
One of the greatest investments we can make in life is in ourselves. And, we’re often too busy or distracted to focus on US. It is from ourselves that everything else in life stems from. You wouldn’t build a house without a solid foundation, why settle for building a life without a solid foundation. To simplify it down to the most essential THREE steps.
1. We must first get clear of who we are.
2. We must know what we want.
3. Then we must empower ourselves to make it real.
Ready to get started with coaching?
CLICK HERE to SCHEDULE AN INTRODUCTORY COACHING SESSION.
“A Professional Life Coach can be a catalyst
in supporting you in this important process.”
The One Minute History of Coaching
Have you ever gone to a seminar or program gotten fired up, focused and committed – only to be pulled back into the frenzy of life within minutes or days? Reality sets in, habits return, and that focused energy has dwindled to a mere spark. Whether you’ve attended a workshop, or just DECIDED to change or dramatically enhance your life – there is undoubtedly a gap, or “transition period” between “getting information and ideas” from your head and INTEGRATING information and changes into your body – to create lasting changes. You want to move quickly from “where you are now” to “where you want to BE”. And, with the tugging forces of life to complicate the process – discipline, will power and a staunch commitment is not enough.
It was out of this DESIRE to create lasting change more rapidly that the Coaching Profession was born. Two individuals, Laura Whitworth and Thomas Leonard, set about to create a system to end the struggle and support people in every area of their lives, empowering them to create the life of their dreams. As a team they developed philosophies, methodologies and skills that became the core of the industry. Professional coaching addresses the WHOLE person – with an emphasis on producing action and uncovering learning that can lead to more fulfillment, more balance, and a more effective process for living. Thomas and Laura have since gone on founding the two most extraordinary Coaching Training Schools in the world, The Coaches Training Institute (CTI) and Coach University (CoachU). I became Certified (CPPC – Certified Personal Professional Coach) through CTI in August of 1999 and am furthering my education now with CoachU.
The Coaching Profession is relatively young in comparison to other industries, yet over the last ten years, it has grown tremendously. Not only in the number of coaches coaching, and the number of individuals “being coached”, but in terms of formalizing industry standards and training – ensuring the highest caliber of coaches to service YOU.
Coaching vs. Therapy
Coaching works best for people who have already resolved past issues and are ready for the next level in their career or life. Therapy focuses on processing “PAST issues” and is less action oriented. Coaching is about living in the “present” and taking action to create magical futures. A coach will hold you accountable. On occasion, I utilize the skill of “process coaching” to allow a client to work through a place of “stuckness” or emotional overwhelm. However, the emphasis is on forwarding the action and deepening the client’s learning. And, while attentive listening are central to both, coaching and therapy are quite different.
Coaching vs. Consulting
Coaching is client directed. Consulting is consultant directed. My agenda in coaching is to support your agenda, not a specific cookie-cutter program. In coaching you design the Primary Focus of the relationship. I believe that my clients are whole, resourceful and creative. Through powerful questions, our designed alliance and YOU, we’ll tap your internal wisdom. I will sometimes advise a client, and make programs available to my clients, but the focus is on challenging you to discover the answers you seek, embrase your innate wisdom and to empower you to choose and create what you most desire.
Are you living a life of your design based on your unique values and dreams or are you trapped in making a living?
- Is there a gap between where you are now, and where you want to be?
- Do you want to create more inspiration, passion and live the most fulfilling life imaginable?
- Are you ready to take your life to the next level?
- Do you want to live an authentic life, a life that honors your values and most treasured priorities?
- Do you have extremely high standards for yourself and for those around you? Would you like to raise your own standards?
- Do you want to make a major impact in the world?
- Are you committed to being successful and doing whatever it takes to get there?
- Are you open to new insights, breakthroughs and transformations?
- Do you Love to Learn and Grow?
- Do you work hard and play hard and are ready not to work so hard, so you can play more?
- Do you grow weary with all the stuff you have to do?
- Is something missing in your life and you’re not sure what it is?
- Are your life purposes and goals unclear?
- Do you feel stuck or have difficulty making choices, balancing expectations, prioritizing and moving forward with things that you know are important to you?
If you answered YES to any of the above, life or business coaching may be for you. Click HERE to schedule an Introductory 30 Minute Session to see if we may be a match for each other.
Ready to get started with coaching?
CLICK HERE to SCHEDULE AN INTRODUCTORY COACHING SESSION.